Tuesday 22 November 2011

Who is the Patron Saint of Lost Causes, again?

What is it that possesses an otherwise rational woman to futz around for over half an hour trying to re-thread a cheap plastic zipper on a storage bag that only cost five quid to begin with?

Is it because my ham-fisted husband (bless him) yanked it from its moorings on the very first pull? Before I’d even gotten to enjoy having the extra sheets safely and conveniently stowed beneath the bed?

Or is it some darker, more deep-seated neurosis, some artifact of my parents’ Depression-era “waste-not, want-not” philosophy? No, this is a serious question; how do you make the call when something needs tossing? I need a clear decision-tree approach, cause I’ve thrown out tons of stuff and then, not more than a week later, gone:”Oh, man; if only I’d kept that! I could really use it right now!” as I padded off to the store to buy a new…whatever it was.

Once I had this rubber ring that I was sure went to something. I kept it in a little catch-all doolie that I had above the sink for random stuff that needed to go elsewhere but not right now. It sat there for months. Finally, moving from the upper apartment to the lower one in my house in order to rent the upper suite, I tossed it. As I was unpacking in the new digs I found my beautiful vintage glass cookie jar, the lid to which was missing the (irreplaceable) large rubber washer that fitted it snugly to the jar. *sigh*

It is long past time for me to let go of stuff that does not serve me well. What do you think, gentle readers? (I love imagining having readers; that delusion I won’t let go of soon) Toss it out, or put the zipper back on track? Any suggestions for how to do that?

2 comments:

  1. Fix it! You aren't taking into account the satisfaction of repairing even a PoS doohickie yourself, instead of buying a replacement. It's not a neurosis, it's a *talent*! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes; the Robert Persig model. Definitely my bent or inclination is to fix things up. Putter. Give old things new life. Thanks for that perspective!

    ReplyDelete